Press "Enter" to skip to content

Centereach FD-Electrical problem in the SmithHaven Mall

January 17, 2024, 0621 hours. The Centereach Fire Department received a direct call from an engineer at the SmithHaven Mall reporting that there was a fire within the vacant space formerly occupied by TGI Fridays. The Nesconset, Stony Brook, St. James and Setauket Fire Departments were added to the response since this was not an automatic alarm.

Units arrive to find a high voltage switch gear and power distribution control with water pouring into them from a leak in the roof. The equipment within the panels was overheating resulting in overheating of the main cables running back to the underground transformers outside of the building. FD personnel isolated the area and stood by until PSEG crews arrived and de-energized the equipment.

FD personnel cleared from the scene by 0900 hours. There were no injuries and the mall opened for business at their normal time.