Press "Enter" to skip to content

Centereach FD-Multiple calls report fire at the Vans Store in SmithHaven Mall

January 18, 2024, 1654 hours. While operating at a carbon monoxide incident, the Centereach Fire Department was dispatched to a report of a fire at the Vans Store in the Macys wing of the SmithHaven Mall. With 911 taking numerous calls, The Nesconset, Stony Brook and St. James fire department were added to the response. Units arrived to find a blown heater coil in the stock room. As such, all mutuals were cancelled. Two stores were flooded before the coil could be shut down.

Vans was shut down by the Lake Grove Fire Marshal due to the damage, because they had a blocked exit corridor, a blocked fire exit and because the fire alarm system was destroyed.

There were no injuries.