Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.

Bedroom fire on Patricia Lane in Lake Grove involves recalled bluetooth speaker

Posted 5/27/2019

2138 Hours. The Ronkonkoma, Nesconset, Lakeland and Farmingville Fire Departments respond to a report of a house on fire on Patricia Lane in Lake Grove. Units arrive to find that there had been a small fire in a bedroom on the upper level of a two story house. The fire involved a battery operated bluetooth speaker, which the homeowner removed from the building. That fire was extinguished on the front lawn and the remaining fire in the bedroom was extinguished with a portable fire extinguisher. The house was ventilated and crews opened the wall in the bedroom and overhauled. The Lake Grove Fire Marshal responded to the scene and determined that the fire started in the Brookstone Big Blue Party Wireless indoor/outdoor speaker. These speakers were recalled in October of 2018 due to fires occurring within the lithium ion batteries. Thankfully the occupants of this house were home. Had they not quickly discovered and extinguished the fire, the damage would have been extensive. The Fire Marshal packaged up the unit and advised the homeowner to contact their insurance company. The Fire Marshal also filed a report with the Consumer Product Safety Commission. The CPSC has twelve fires involving these speakers on file.

If you or someone you know has one of these speakers, stop using them IMMEDIATELY. Remove the batteries from the bottom of the unit, and properly dispose of them. Brookstone is no longer in business so there is no way to return the speaker for a refund. Here is a link to the CPSC Website relating to this recall.






contador grĂ¡tis